Tips to save water while traveling:
- Shorten Showers – Limit your time in the shower when you can.
- Turn Off the Tap – Don’t leave the sink tap running; turn off the water when brushing your teeth, plug the tap when shaving.
- Go Reusable – Pack your water bottle; or refill a plastic water bottle.
- Book Eco-friendly Hotels – Stay at hotels that are environmentally friendly and conserve water.
- Reuse – If you don’t need your towels to be washed, make sure to hang them so the hotel staff will not do laundry unnecessarily.
- Keep the “Do Not Disturb” Sign on Your Door – If the “Do not Disturb” sign isn’t on your door, then housekeeping will likely service your room daily. They will use water for cleaning, particularly in the bathrooms. If your room is not dirty and does not need cleaning, then leave the sign on your door and skip housekeeping for a day or two.
Tips to save energy while traveling:
- Air conditioning – If you are staying in a hot destination and your hotel room has air conditioning, make sure to use it thoughtfully. Only have it turned on while you are in the room and have it on a higher temperature when sleeping.
- Hot showers – Reduce hot showers, if you are staying in a warm destination consider taking a cold shower or lukewarm. Or if you do prefer hot showers, try to shorten the shower.
- Turn off the lights – Remember to turn off the lights in the hotel rooms when you leave or sleep.
- Unplug your electronics – Of course it is important to make sure your mobile phone, camara and other devices are charged, but make sure to not leave them plugged in for longer than necessary.